San Diego Youth Services mission is to help at-risk youth and their families become self-sufficient and reach their highest potential.
San Diego Youth Services (SDYS) is a non-profit organization that since founded, has helpedto improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of homeless, runaway, abused and at-risk youth in the San Diego area. Launched in 1970 when volunteers established one of the FIRST runaway youth shelters in America, SDYS now provides intensive services to more than 13,000 children and their families each year. This nationally recognized agency offers emergency services, safe places to live and long-term solutions for kids “on their own” by providing shelters, group homes, foster homes, community centers and transitional housing. There is a staggering number of “kids parenting kids” in San Diego and even more alarming, is the escalation of the commercial sexual exploitation of our kids.
Heels2Heal is committed to transforming San Diego Youth Services Mid-City Youth Center into a one-stop shop for pregnant/parenting youth, teen girls who are victimized and forced into prostitution, and other young ladies at high-risk for abuse and pregnancy. Through wrap-around, comprehensive services, these girls now have hope and healthy paths to building their futures. Together we are tackling high risks factors for young girls who:
- 32% are sexually exploited
- 33% engage in prostitution
- 4% are pregnant (double the rate since 2009)
- 2% are homeless
Heels2Heal will also raise funds for much needed support services such as:
- Counseling services for girls who have experienced significant pain and trauma.
- Teaching life skills and pregnancy prevention through academic support and enrichment, vocational skills building, parenting skills training and development of emotional/physical safety coping strategies.
- Providing moms with in-home support services, child care services, and linkage to primary healthcare and pre-natal care services.